Friendship Knot - Tops

 Our Friendship Knot quilt tops are completed. We found the designers instructions to be somewhat unclear, however we each completed the Queen size. It seems bigger than a normal Queen size to me. We are at the point of having them quilted after which I will post pictures of the quilts. 

We tend to be more attracted to exact measurement instructions and I would say that neither of us is into making designs that use " wonky" cuts where fabric can be wasted. We grew up with a mother who sewed our clothes and quilted from the scraps. She always imparted to us that we should not waste fabric, whether making clothes or quilting.

Some of the modern quilt blocks are designed to piece the block, then square and trim it, which is the case with this design. I prefer the old method of accurately measuring, cutting, and piecing. I would have preferred more succinct details in the pattern instructions. We wound up making our own templates for our cuts and we marked and cut the pieces. I found the reference “registration mark” confusing and it was unclear what tool that reference was for. I do have an Oral Ruler which refers to a "registration mark", but We both opted to make own templates.  The connection just was not clear in the instructions.

It is an unusual design and we remain open to trying different techniques. I am not a proponent of designs that yield wasted fabric! I do save scraps and extra cuts for stuffing pillows and other projects.

It is a very modern and unique design!  I did expect more from the quilt pattern instructions. 

Mid's Top

Mid's Friendship Knot Quilt Top 

Raine's Top

Eleanor's Friendship Knot Quilt Top





Comments

  1. Replies
    1. This was a challenging pattern from the beginning. It is a lot of waste. My preference is more vintage than modern. Making a template worked perfectly in that we did not have to measure each block according to the instructions then sew. Clipping curves made a big difference in stitching the pieces together.

      Delete
  2. Yes. I remember when Mama made our clothes, she always bought less fabric than what the patterned called for and she was able to cut the pieces based on her own estimation of how much fabric was needed. She always taught us to not waste fabric and that is still with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be machine quilting this quilt on my fabulous Janome Memory Craft Sewing machine. It is a huge quilt and will require some patience, but I think it will work out fine on this machine. I have one quilt ahead of this one to quilt first. I just wanted to post pictures of both tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have the Friendship knot finished. Color arrangement was a challenge because of the colors recommended by the designer. It is a large quilt. I have taken this one to the longarm quilter. After finishing it, I like it a little more. maybe it would be beautiful if made using large floral, tonal and small print or texture.

      Delete

Post a Comment