Double Axe Head Quilt Tops

The Double Axe had many names of which a more common one is Apple Core.  I saw this pattern on an old building covering a window in an old building and fell in love with it.  My colors are random and within the same group. I had already purchased 14 different colors that were coordinated before cutting so I just went with the scrappy look.  Matching is not necessary because it is a scrappy style.  One might select 7 or 9 colors that are well coordinated.  I sorted my colors into 7 categories, then in the end, I laid out the pieces and moved them around until I was happy enough to commit! I constructed this with 14 x16 rows of axes.

I will post an updated picture after quilting and binding. I am considering quilting this one on my home sewing machine but I might take it to the quilt shop and quilt it on the Long Arm. The binding will be done the bias using the main color white, large print. 

Eleanor's completed top 


Mid will have her top quilted at a local quilt shop.  Here is her completed top. The fabric is very elegant. She constructed hers with 12 x 16 rows of axes.  

Both are definitely unique! The curve were a real challenge! 


Mid's completed top

Gray is still working on hers and the picture will be posted when she is ready.




Comments

  1. We thought we would never finish these but here were are. Waiting on Gray's but we don't rush things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to finally get this one done. I welcome a challenge but this was over the TOP!!!!!
    It's not one to work on everyday or all day long like we usually do. But I love it now. Can't wait to get it quilted. Any suggestions for the longarm design? Gonna prepare the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the same process over and over but the pinning then sewing is very time consuming. Pinning, and piecing becomes very tiring. Pins! Pins! Pins! It is work and you just have to put the time into it!
    I 'm thinking maybe a large meander quilting design for mine, on my home machine. Stitch in the ditch is too boring but that would work. Besides, I don't feel like touching all those axes again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment