Mickayla's Quilted Sewing Box

My great niece Mickayla has the cutest sewing machine and will be learning how to sew. I wanted to make her something, so I made a bunch of scrunchies, from scraps. Then I was thinking a box to hold her sewing stuff would be nice, so I am making a quilted storage box. I am using fabrics that I already have Fat Quarters, Scraps and left over muslin.

Instructions for the box do not include cutting instructions for the quilt slab so it took a little longer to make the three sections. I gathered cereal boxes for the cardboard, and I am using left over batting and interfacing.

I am hoping to enjoy making this box enough to make more. Let’s see if they are worth the work. This is a clever way to use scraps; boxes made from scraps for scraps! They can be used to store fabrics by color which is suggested in the book.

I often pick up books and magazines during my travels and I have accumulated a number of quilting books over the years. The instructions for this quilted storage box are from a book called Sunday Morning Quilts, by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison.


Slabs to be quilted and Lining 









Comments

  1. I am making a sewing storage box for my niece Mickayla. If I like the process, I will post a quick 'how to' tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first box turned out pretty well! The inside lining was not as crisp as I wanted it to be. I have never used starch when quilting but I might try spray starch when making the next one. Also, I used a few tacking stitches in the corners to make sure the cardboard stayed in place.

    Overall, I liked making these but will spend less time piecing on the next one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment